Sunday, 24 May 2015

An Update and an Apology

An Update and an Apology

I think it goes without saying that I am having fun in Botswana. I am incredibly lonely and homesick at times, but still having a whole lot of fun. I know I have not been posting enough and I apologize! I am going to make a strong attempt to post at least once a month. Keep me honest and remind me!  For this blog I have decided to just write a bunch of short and random experiences capturing my service in the last couple months and some of the projects I am working on.

Over Easter weekend I spent an awesome couple of days at a place called Elephant Sands near Nata, Botswana. We saw elephants on the road before we even got to the campsite. Since I had never been officially camping it was pretty amazing to be able to camp in a place where elephants roam free. The lodge has a watering hole that they fill on a regular basis so even when every other watering hole is dry the elephants still come to that one and of course we get to admire their beauty from a wonderfully close spot. Setting up my first tent, with a lot of help, was a lot of fun. Even though it rained almost the entire time it was really a great experience. I think the rain might have even had an enduring quality to it? No, the rain just sucked but it was still a lot of fun!

I spent my first birthday in Botswana! I had a total “me” weekend where I relaxed and pampered myself. And by pampered myself I mean I washed my hair and ate everything in sight. I also Skyped a lot of people back home and even though the connection sucked it was still nice to see their frozen and distorted faces. But the most IMPORTANT thing about my birthday weekend was that I bought my tickets to visit home and Mexico over Christmas! Okay, okay no. The most important part was that I got soooo mucchhhh LOVE! The Facebook messages, Facebook wall posts, Whatsapp messages, texts and calls were like almost overwhelming… but not really because it was my birthday so suck it sensory overload!

I started my Grassroot Soccer curriculum and with my trusty sidekick (aka counterpart!) and it has gone a lot better than I could have asked for. Not only has my counterpart been incredibly reliable but she seems to really be enjoying it. The kids are so great. They are still super shy and after 4 sessions just starting to open up but I can definitely see improvements! I think they are starting to trust me. Some of their responses during our discussions are just so impressive. These are 12-14 year olds talking about sex, HIV and other awkward topics and talking like they are adults themselves. Say the words ‘penis’ and ‘vagina’ to a bunch of American preteens and you won’t get past the snickering.

Speaking of projects… I recently started a couple things. One of them is a curriculum for vulnerable girls called GoGirls! that is aimed at teaching vulnerable preteen and teenage girls how to protect themselves from HIV, avoid pregnancy and stay in school. A few of the girls in my GoGirls! session are also in my GRS (Grassroot Soccer) group. In our first session I noticed that the girls that are in my GRS group were more likely to speak up then the ones who I had not worked with yet. So can we call that a bit of success? I say yes. Our first session was about goals. The curriculum warned that sometimes girls would have trouble coming up with goals or would say things that we wouldn’t necessarily see as a great goal. I really underestimated my girls on this one. They want to go to college and be nurses, teachers, ministers and even a pilot and a parliament member! It was very inspiring. We still have a lot of trust issues and language barriers to overcome in this curriculum but I am already dreaming up ways to overcome these. One of them might be with popular music.

Batswana teens, like most teens worldwide, LOVE music. They even listen to some pop, R&B and rap. In my first session with my GoGirls! class I asked them if listening to a song relevant to our session that day and then reflecting and discussing it would be something that they wanted to do. All I heard was crickets… no one said a word. Initially I was a little disappointed because honestly it was something that I had looked forward to doing but was not something I was going to do if they did not want to do it. Then I saw one of the girls whispering to another girl. It looked like she was trying to convince her to raise her hand. So I decided to have them vote anonymously after class. I had 14 girls that day. Nine said yes in favor of the music component, four said no and one’s paper was not legible. Okay so that being said I cannot emphasize enough how shy kids are here and how hard it is to get them to speak up. Corporal punishment is used very frequently here and students are often scared about being wrong or being made fun of when they speak up in class. This a huge barrier that I a m constantly working to overcome, especially for their sake because I really want them to know learn the material and if they have questions and are confused but scared to speak up then they will never learn the material I am trying to get across to them, especially when so much of it is discussion based.

I have been given a LIBRARY as a project. I came at just the right time when at the primary school they are moving the library into an actual room and not a storage room/library. Anyone who knows me even a little knows that I love books and I love to get people to read! Soon I will have all the books sorted and organized. In the mean time I am going through the disaster that is that storage room.  After I get all the books where I want, I really want to start a reading program for the kids. More than likely it will be reading for an incentive but honestly ANYTHING to get these kids to read. They need to learn English to do well on their exams. I will be making a callout for books so keep your eyes open for that! Oh and a call out for prizes for my reading program!

I am working on creating an economic empowerment curriculum for children. I am only about half way done but hope to be able to start it next month. This will basically entail having a group of preselected kids show movies on the projector my mother was kind enough to send me and charging community members a small fee for viewing. This way they will learn how to run their own small business and what is required of an employee. Aside from their biweekly showing they’ll have weekly meetings where I will be teaching all kinds of things including the value of saving money, how to run a  business, work ethics, fair trade etc. I am really excited about this and am even working on making a Botswana version of monopoly to play with the kids for the session on the importance of saving money! : )

The other day on our way to GRS (Grassroot Soccer) a man saw my counterpart and I carrying the two soccer balls we needed for that day’s session. He called out to us saying that if we wanted he would teach us how to play netball…NETBALL! Because we are women and had two soccer balls he assumed we were on our way to play netball because that is seen as a ‘woman’s sport’ and soccer a ‘man’s sport.’ I’ll have you know my GRS girls enjoy soccer very much! We are playing SOCCER we yelled back defiantly!

Sometimes things happen back home and people leave because of them. But sometimes smaller things happen that are still a big deal but not necessarily “go home” material to that particular volunteer. I have seen in myself and other volunteers this sort of sigh of relief that we are not home to have to deal with the aftermath of whatever particular event this may be. I know, it seems rather cowardly, or at least I feel cowardly when I sigh that breath of relief. Do not get me wrong though, there are far more times when I wish I was able to be home for what is going on, good and bad. That is part of Peace Corps though, accepting that while we are here life continues to go on back home without us.

This concludes my blog post for this couple months….I know, I know I need to write one more often, especially since teaching Americans back home about Peace Corps and our host country is one of Peace Corps three goals! If you have anything specific you are dying to know about Botswana or Peace Corps and want me to blog about it feel free to comment on this link on my Facebook!
Ke a leboga thata!
Thank you so much!

En Español!

Creo que es obvio que me estoy divirtiendo aquí en Botswana. O por lo menos obvio que no odio estar aquí considerando que todavía estoy aquí! Para este blog decide solo describir algunas experiencias y unos proyectos que tengo al momento aquí en Moletemane.

El fin de semana de Pascua me lo pasa en un lugar de Botswana que se llama Elephant Sands cerca de Nata, Botswana norte de aquí donde vivo. Nunca vía ida a campar hasta ahora y la experiencia fue todavía mejor campando en un lugar donde elefantes andan libres en su hábitat normal. Con la ayuda de mis amigos levante me primera casa de campamento donde dormimos dos noches muy mojadas por que llovió casi todo el rato que estuvimos allí! Pero tal vez la lluvia le agrego mas al sentido de aventura verdad??  No nada de eso, la lluvia fue terrible. Jaja pero de todos modos nos divertimos mucho! El lugar donde nos quedamos tiene un poso de agua que llenan regularmente para los elefantes. Esta directamente en frente del pequeño restaurante que tienen allí.  Cuando es conveniente para ellos, los elefantes vienen a tomar del pozo. Por eso podemos ver los tan cercas sin tener que ir a buscarlos!

Pase mi primer cumpleaños en Botswana. Tome todo el fin de semana en un hotel donde pueda teñir agua, luz y internet todo el día. Realmente fue unas vacaciones para mí. Tome el fin de semana relajado y después el lunes de mi cumpleaños regrese a mi pueblo con un pastel para compartir en la clínica donde trabaja. La mejor parte de mi fin de semana fue poder hablar por Skype con mi familia y amigos en los Estados Unidos. También compre mis boletos para diciembre cuando pienso visitar Indiana y México! :D Pero realmente la mejor parte de mi cumpleaños fue todo el amor que ustedes me mandaron por Facebook, Whatsapp y por teléfono. Me la pase todo el día respondiendo! Que día tan amoroso!

Empecé me clase de Grassroot Soccer recientemente con mi campanera en la clínica. No podría pedir una mejor compañera o experiencia con esta clase. Ella me  apoyado en todo esto y creo que le gusta dar estas clases también.  Los niños son de edades 11-13 y me encanta trabajar con ellos. Es muy difícil convencerlos de hablar en frente de las clase y de teñir confianza conmigo y los otro alumnos pero creo que poco a poco están aprendiendo un poco de confianza. Me impresionan a veces con su madures y respuestas cuando los puedo convencer de hablar en frente de mi.  Especialmente con los temas de que hablamos como por ejemplo, relaciones sexuales, Sida y otros temas de cual hasta a los adultos les da vergüenza hablar.

Y hablando de proyectos, recientemente a empezado algunos.  Un  de ellos es una clase que se llama GoGirls y que es específicamente para muchachas que están más a riesgo de ser infectadas con SIDA, salir embarazadas o dejar la escuela. Algunas de las chicas en mi clase de GoGirls también están en mi clase de Grassroot Soccer. Me di cuenta el primer día de GoGirls que las muchachas con cuales ya a estado trabajando en Grassroot Soocer eran las que hablaron y participaron más en la primera clase de GoGirls. Si mi voy de este país con solo ver les dado más confianza en ellas mismas a estas muchachas me puedo ir feliz.  La primera clase se trataba de metas. El libro de lecciones que estoy usando para esta clase mi aconsejo que me prepare para ayudar las muchachas que tal vez no sepan que es una meta o que no tengan ninguna meta. Pero otro vez las chicas me sorprendieron y inspiraron. Ellas quieren ir a la Universidad, ser maestras, enfermeras, ministras, hasta una pilota y otra trabajar en el congreso. Al momento todavía tengo que ganar la confianza de estas chicas y sobrepasar obstáculos de lenguaje y confianza pero estoy buscando métodos  para sobrepasar estos obstáculos. Uno que tengo al momento es con música popular.

Los jóvenes en Botswana, como en todo el mundo, les encanta la música! Hasta escuchas música Americana en ingles, como la mayoría de la gente habla por lo menos un poco de ingles aquí. Pensé que sería un buena idea escuchar una canción cada sección de GoGirls que tenía que ver con el tema de esa sección y después platicar y reflectar de la canción. Cuando le pregunte a las muchachas que si era algo que quieran hacer mi contractaron con silencio. Inicialmente estaba un poco triste porque ira algo que pensaba que a lo mejor alga sido divertido. Pero después vi que una niña estaba tratando de convencer a otro que puniera su mana para arriba para decir que si quería música pero esa misma niña no la vea puesto para arriba. Entonces mejor al fin de la clase las deje votar con papeles anónimos. La mayoría de las muchachas dijeron que si quieran el aspecto de música en las clase. Hasta para algo que les gustaba tenían miedo decir en frente de la clase.  Es muy difícil dar una clase y no saber si realmente están entendiendo el material si no quieran hablar en frente de mí. Especialmente cuando el material es tan importante. Pero poco a poco estamos sobrepasando esto con tiempo y todos los días les trato de mostrar que me pueden teñir confianza.

Todos los que me conocen por lo menos un poco saben cuánto me gustar leer y convencer a otros de leer. Cuando primero llegue a Moletemane la primeria no tenia biblioteca. Después de hablar más con la principal de la escuela me di cuenta que tenían una pero no tenían el espacio para poner la en un cuarta. Al momento están todos los libros en cuarto bien pequeño lleno de polvo y basara. Hace unas semanas me informa la principal que estaban arreglando un cuarto para ser la biblioteca para los niños. Yo le deje que me dejar en cargo. Al momento estoy organizando todos los libros para transferirlos a la biblioteca nueva! Cuando termine les voy a pedir donaciones de libros para que estén en alerta! ;) También les voy a pedir donaciones de juguetes o primos que les puedo dar a los niños. Voy a empezar una competencia de leer para motivar los niños que lean más! Es muy importante que lean niños pero más aquí porque necesitan aprender el ingles bien para que pasen sus exámenes que están en Ingles!

Al momento estoy creando un libro de lecciones para empoderamiento económica de jóvenes. Estoy solo a la meta pero en este club básicamente los niños tendrían que ser de los más responsables y tendrían que estar presentes para las juntas cada semana. En esta junta aprenderían como tener su propio negocio, ethica de trabajo y mucho mas! Cada dos semanas ensenarían una película a la comunidad con el proyectar que mi mama me mando para mi cumpleaños. Así pueden poner lo que aprendido en su vida real y aprender la importancia de teñir ahorros y como empezar un negocio.

Hace unas semanas atrás íbamos yo y mi compañera de trabajo a dar nuestra clase de Grassroot Soccer. Un señor nos vio pasar con las dos pelotas que necesitábamos para la lección y nos pregunto que si necesitábamos que nos ensenar a jugar netball. Netball es un juego jugado mucho por mujeres. Es considerado juego de mujer mientras el futbol es considerado juego de hombre. Para que sepan a mis chicas también les gusta jugar futbol! No no mas netball! Le gritamos al señor, no señor que netball ni que nada, vamos a jugar futbol! ;)

A veces cosas graves pasan en los Estados Unidos y el voluntario elige regresarse.  Pero a veces pasan cosas no tan graves o en cual el voluntario elige quedar se porque no tiene caso que regresen por lo ocurrido. Es verdad que ay mas veces cuando los otros voluntarios y yo deseamos estar con nuestros amigos y familia en tiempo difíciles. Pero a la misma vez ay veces que estamos un poco agradecidos que no estamos allí para tener que lidiar con cosas pesadas o otras responsabilidades. Sé que es un poco cobarde porque nos estamos a basando en la ida que no podemos hacer nada porque estamos tan lejos pero es la realidad. Son sentimientos que no puédenos cambiar o a veces no somos suficientes fuertes para lidiar con lo pesado de nuestros amigos en Estados Unidos y nuestras vidas aquí que frecuentemente vienen con mucho stress. Pero como les he dicho en el pasado, una de las cosas más difíciles de combatir en Peace Corps es aceptando que la vida en los Estados Unidos también sigo aunque no estemos allí.

Esto concluye me blog de estos últimos meses. Sé que necesito escribir mas frecuente especialmente porque Peace Corps quiere que tengamos estas conversaciones con Americanos de donde estamos y de los que estamos haciendo. Si ay un tema o algo de cual quieren que suba otra blog de aquí de Botswana o de Peace Corps avicien me en los comentarios de este blog en Facebook!

Ke a leboga thata!
Muchas Gracias!  

No comments:

Post a Comment