One day we will laugh about his…(August 18, 2012)
To my fellow PCT (Peace Corps Trainees), one day we will look back at all our trials and just have a good laugh at how we tried to adjust to our less than modern standards. In general, I think everyone along on this adventure is taking it quite well. Other than maybe the girl who ended her service on Friday….but who I am to judge her reasons. I wish I could just tell you all about everything I see everyday at all times but that just does not sound reasonable now does it? Let’s start with some basic topics that revolve around my life and possibly that of the other Bots15 members.
It’s the little things…
Small things that would have never been fun in the states suddenly become fun. For example, I now have this amazing, perfect sized cup for my bathing every night. Not too big and not too small. Perfect. Every day when I bath it makes me happy. :)
I have never needed a pedi more in my life but at least most of my shoes are very broken in at this point.
Every time my mom calls is like the best part of the week, even if we are only allotted 8 minutes by her calling card.
Sharing food snacks with others has become like a whole new way of bonding. If someone gives you one of their apples or half of their peanut butter sandwich they like you but if they give you some of their candy bar, man they LOVE you.
Germs are a thing of the past. I am happy if I can wash my hands before meals and after bathroom use. Also, I’m sure at some point we will all give each other mono from sharing food and drinks. No biggie.
Drinking in moderation has never been so real. Drinking is seen as immoral in Botswana and “social drinking” is not really a thing here. So when we get out early we head to the bar right outside the college we are training at. There is a common consensus that we CANNOT get sh*t faced because most of our host parents would flip. Not to mention we are new around here and some of the trainees live far and could potentially get lost on the walk home if they were too tipsy. Since it’s winter here it gets dark at like 6 so we all pack up pretty early. We have to be home before the sun goes down so that gives us little leeway for any shenanigans so 1-3 beers is all we really have time for.
Seeing everyone’s Tupperware and lunch boxes at lunch time is always funny. Someone is always hungry and willing to eat anything and someone is always trying to give away their less than desirable squash, hard boiled egg etc to someone in dire need. It should also be noted that lunch time and our tea breaks are our most coveted times other than maybe sleep time and the ever mysterious dinner time. That being said, let’s talk about the food…
The food…
Anything from maize to cow spine could be on the menu. Eat and don’t ask is the best method when dealing with dinner. Vegetarians are in for a bit of a culture norm to overcome. Apparently, when vegetarians say they don’t eat meat Batswana seems to think that chicken is fair game. But then you can’t say you eat only vegetables because then they will only cook vegetables and no bread etc. Gluten allergies are also not widely understood so people are confused when volunteers say they cannot eat bread, though most volunteers just say they are allergic to it. Today I heard that someone tried mopane worms, a local delicacy. Believe it or not they were not as great as they sound. Crunchy she said. I’d take the worms any day over all the squash and pumpkin they keep feeding me. I HATE pumpkin and squash. It’s at almost every meal. There is also this green spinach look alike vegetable that goes by the name of “rape.” Yes, it is pronounced that way in English here too. I have not learned the Setswana name for it yet but I am working on it.
Bathing
Batswana LOVE to bath. They call in bath-ing. According to culture bathing should be done three times a day. Many families stick to two. Bathing is not as easy a process here as it is in the states. Very few volunteers are spoiled and have hot running water. I think I have only talked to one person who has a hot running shower. As for the rest of us…we have to boil water, usually outside, for our baths. Sometimes there are little leaves or dirt in the water from the water heaters but hey it’s Peace Corps. I shut down my host parents real early on in the game in regards to more than one bath a day. I bath at night after I help with dishes. Some other volunteers have more aggressive host parents who insist on two a day. Those people usually just splash some water on themselves and make water noises in the bathroom then call it a day. Many, I’ve learned, use this opportunity to wash their underwear. We’ll talk about that later. Also, It is worth talking about the cultural norms surrounding the tub. It must be washed/cleaned after each bath so I clean it after every bath. On a happy note, I have a sweet cup that is perfect for pouring water and has made bucket bathing much easier. How is that for life skills? Mastered the art of bucket bathing.
Underwear in Botswana
I have not figured out why Batswana are so scared of underwear but they are a very private matter here. They are never, under any circumstances to be put out to dry on the line with the rest of the clothes. If they are, they must be put under a sheet or towel so they cannot be seen. Many people wash them in private as well and then let them dry in the bathroom., sometimes still under a towel. I just wash mine in the tub after my bath every night. Occasionally two at a time when needed. Then I let them dry in a corner of my room. Too much info? Sorry, we PCV’s are sharers. Everything from awkward situations to bowel movements are fair game among each other.
Wifi struggles.
So I am just going to say basically one thing about this subject and that is that internet is sucks here. Wifi is not free everywhere like back in the states and even when you pay for it it’s not always good. Also, “good” is a relative term. I have yet to encounter internet that meets the daily standards of any wifi or internet provider back home. Too many people being on the internet at once is real here. Too many being like 10. However, having little internet and being disconnected to the world is nice at times. I know that sounds cliché but it’s the truth. I can throw my phone in my backpack and never look at all day. Our cheap, no camera, Nokia’s the Peace Corps gives us has a little radio and some old school games and it makes us happy. I won’t lie though, I do miss being connected to people but I think this makes it all the better when I do hear from people. Hey everyone, get Whatsapp! :)
Peace Corps really knows how to pick em!
Seriously, I have never in my life meet so many amazing people in one place, at one time. Everyday that I get to know these people more and more I realize how truly amazing they all are. As if it was not enough that we are all in this together but the 74 of us all seem to be on the same page. Ya, ya some of them may be a little more annoying than others or even rude at times but in general it’s like one big family. Everyone really looks out for each other and I really feel like we all hold each other accountable for each others actions. Most importantly, I think we all realize that we are not only representing ourselves but the entire group as a whole and even the Peace Corps as a whole. It is such a comfort to go to class after a weekend and talk about all the crazy things our host families did, swap stories and of course hold up morale! We are each other’s cheerleaders! There is a lot of waiting during PST and since we have all become so close it makes it all the more bearable to be able to spend that time with people whom we like. We all have our favorite people to see everyday. I can walk into any room and find at least a handful of people who I think I can/will build meaningful relationships with. We all have our own stories to tell and the Peace Corps took us in not only for our willingless to give up hot showers and eat peanut butter for every meal but because we are all diverse and have a lot to teach other. As the Peace Corps trainers say every day, you all are your best resources. The Peace Corps tells you very little about what the experience will be like once in country and even less about what your work will be. There is something to be said in regards to the kind of person who would leave it all behind to come to the other side of the world under conditions of discomfort and sometimes hardship to maybe help a person or two and by no means change the world. So yes, we complain about the lack of the water, the food, the language, and by god the damn constant bathing we have to do here but hey we are here to do a job and I think with these 74 people being each other’s allies we will get it done.
Un día vamos a mirar atrás y no mas nos dará reza…
A todos mis compañeros, aquí conmigo, participando en el Peace Corps… un día vamos a mirar atrás y no mas nos dará reza. En general a todos nosotros en esta aventura nos a ido bien considerando las circunstancias. Bueno, tal vez no dirá lo mismo la muchacho que se fue el viernes pero quien soy yo para juzgarla?? Queseare poder platicar de todas mis experiencias diarias pero eso seria imposible. Por lo pronto empezamos con unas materias que son muy importantes al momento en nuestras vidas complicadas. Jaa..
Son las cosas pequeñas que nos hacen feliz…
Cosas que nunca si nos veían hecho divertido ahora nos causan mucha diversión. Por ejemplo tengo una taza perfecta con que bañar me cada noche de mi balde de agua. Eso, de diario me hace feliz! JAA
Nunca a necesitado un pedicure tanto en mi vida! Por le menos ya los zapatos no me dan ampollas jiji.
Cada vez que habla mi mama es mi favorita parte de la semana, aunque solo nos de 8 minutos la tarjeta a veces. J
Compartiendo comida con nuestros compañeros es todo una comunicación nueva. Si alguien te da su manzana… le caes bien, si te da la mitad de su sándwich de peanut butter… también le caes bien, pero si te da de su chocolate… te quiere un chingo! Si nota que vivamos al día. Jaja
La grima no es común con nuestros los voluntarios. La mayoría bebemos de los mimos vasos y comemos de los mimos platos. La grima lo dejamos para otras casos que realmente tienen importancia …como los gusanos que la gente de dinero come aquí …eewww…
Bebiendo en moderación nunca a sido tan real hasta ahora. Bebiendo alcohol en Botswana no es considerado moral. Nuestras familias que nos an dado posada aquí en Botswana no les gusta que vallamos a las barras. Pero la realidad es que a los Americanos nos gusta tomar, a lo menos con todo el estrés de los entrenamientos! Así que cuando salemos temprano de las clases vamos a la barra que esta afuerita de la escuela. No nos queda lejos! Jaja! Pero todos sabemos que no nos podemos pasar con el alcohol porque nuestras familias no les gustaría y aparte de eso los que tienen que caminar lejos nunca llegarían! También, aquí es invierno y si escúrese a las 6 de la tarde. Eso solo nos da tiempo de beber 1-3 cervezas. Que sacrifico! Jaja
Realmente es gracioso ver los almuerzos de todos los voluntarios cada día. Alguien siempre tiene hambre, y alguien siempre esta disponible para regalar su calabaza, huevo hervido, etc. Es obvio que nuestros breaks en el día son nuestras partes favoritas del día! En Botswana toman mucho te. Tenemos cierta hora que es el break del te y aunque no me gusta el te de todos modos lo disfruto! Realmente es mas divertido que la hora de la cena misteriosa. Y hablando de cena….hablaremos de la comida aquí…
La comida!
La comida puede variar de maíz a espina de res. No preguntar antes de comer es el mejor método cuando comiendo en Botswana para nosotros los Americanos. Los vegetarianos a veces tienes problemas con la cultura de comida aquí porque la gente piensa que cuando dicen que no comen carne de todos modos comen pollo. Si come demasiada carne aquí. También is muy difícil para los que tienen la alergia de gluten y no pueden comer pan porque también se come demasiado pan en este país. Una deliquesa en este país son unos gusanos que se llaman mopane. Una de las muchachas las probo ayer y aunque no lo crean no estaban tan buenas como pensarían! Jiji Pero la verdad casi prefiero los gusanos que todo la calabaza que me an estado dando todos los días! Ya me tienen enfadada y ni me gusta! Nunca e comido tantos vegetales en mi vida. Jaja Somos como niños, lo que nos dan nos tenemos que comer.
A bañar se a dicho!
La gente de Botswana les encanta bañar se. La cultura indica que uno se debe que bañar 3 veces al día pero muchas familias solo cumplen dos al día. Bañarse no es cualquier cosa aquí. Son muy pocos los volunartios que tienen agua calienta del la llave. La mayoría tienen que calentar agua, por lo regular, afuera sobre una lumbre. A veces ay poquita tierra o una hoja en el agua pero que se puede hacer! Ja yo desde el empezar les dije a mis “papas” de aquí que yo no mas me iba a bañar una vez al día y en la noche. Ay unos voluntarios con “papas” mas agresivos que insisten en que se bañen también en la mañana. Por lo regular muchos de ellos no mas se meten al baño y asen ruido con el agua. Unos toman esta oportunidad para lavar sus calzones que no se pueden ver en publico. Eso es todo otro tema que visitaremos mas tarde. También ay ciertas reglas con la tina del baño. Cada vez que alguien la osa es su responsabilidad de limpiar la para que este limpia para la siguiente persona. Pero lo menos es mas fácil limpiar el baño después! La tina mía tiene llave donde sale agua pero es fría. De vez en cuando me siento perezosa me baño con agua fría! Pero por lo regular es con un balde de agua de afuera.
El Problema de los Calzones en Botswana
No se porque a la gente de aquí les gusta pensar que la gente no usa calzones pero es super prohibido colgar los calzones afuera para secar después de lavarlos. Solo pueden estar afuera si los ponemos debajo de otra ropa o una toalla. Muchos los ponen a secar en la baño, a veces todavía de abajo de una toalla. A mi se me ase muy gracioso! Jijij yo los míos los lavo después de bañar me. Luego los pongo a secar en una esquina de me cuarto. En fin, ya les de mucho información sobre el tema de calzones en Botswana! Jajajaj
El problema del Internet
Solo voy a decir una cosa de este tema. La peor Internet de los Estados Unidos es todavía mejor que la Internet aquí. Pero realmente estar desconectados un poco nos a hecho bien. El Peace Corps nos a dado teléfonos que ni cámara tienen pero sirven su función. Por a hora tendré poca Internet a la semana. Whatsapp es la aplicación que sirve mejor aquí. Así que bájenla para que platiquemos! :)
El Peace Corps realmente los sabe escoger!
Solo unas pocas palabras… nunca en mi vida a conocido tanta gente tan extrodinaria. Todos tenemos demasiado en comun pero a la vez somos tan diferentes. Creo que todos tenemos algo para ensenar le la siguiente persona. Sentemos que nos amos conocido toda la vida aunque nomás hagan sido unas pocas semanas. Nos apoyamos uno al otra y nos recordamos que venimos hacer un trabajo, no de vacaciones. Entre todos creo que vamos hacer en éxito! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment