One year came and went here in Botswana. I wish I could easily say that it has been awesome, great and amazing but honestly I have been having a really hard time lately. Last week especially was very hard for me. I thought the sun would never shine on me again. I walked through my village like a puppet on strings, being pulled along by some force who wasn’t feeling like giving a very enthusiastic performance. I barely went to work and avoided people by hiding in my house and leaving my village every chance I got. Peace Corps is a completely different experience among individuals. This is my story and these are the inner demons that I have had to face.
Good news this week. I’ve woken up. This week I have regained my consciousness in a away. There is a certain kind of loneliness involved in being a Peace Corps Volunteer. There are always people around. Sometimes around more than you want them to be. To the point that they may even bother you because they never go away. But even for those Peace Corps volunteer who manage to truly integrate into their communities there will always be this part of oneself that their village does not understand. Twenty-seven months is a long time but at the same time it really isn’t. To become fully immersed in a culture and in a community where people know that you will one day very soon leave IS SO DIFFICULT. It is hard for people to take you seriously. You really have to TRY. You can’t just go about your life the same way you would in America because ultimately you will fail as a good Peace Corps Volunteer. I guess it is all about adapting right? The only problem with that is that adapting is really, fucking, hard sometimes.
There are feelings that as an American I instinctively want to let myself express and feel but in order to excel as a Peace Corps volunteer, and even just carry on as a PCV, I cannot let myself openly express them in my community. For example, the irritation or insult I may feel from an elder. I cannot allow myself to contradict this elder as insulted and hurt I may feel by their comments. I cannot let myself get caught up in the rage I may feel at the parents of a malnourished child in my village where every child under 5 is provided monthly food. I cannot just leave my village when I want and do what I want without telling someone or expect to be endlessly questioned of my whereabouts when I return. And even then there are only certain times of the day I can physically leave the village if I wanted because after a certain time transport just doesn’t come to my rural village. There are many more examples that are simple things that we as Americans see as basic necessities but are really just luxurious privileges.
Now I know what you’re thinking. Come home if you hate it so much... You did this to yourself… How come you say you love it then if it does not seem to be the case… It terrifies me to think how easy it would be to just make a phone call and then 24 hours later be on a plane back to America for good. Not because the idea is incredibly tantalizing but because I have no desire to leave Peace Corps and I see how easy it would be to say fuck it, throw everything to the wind and make that call in a moment of weakness like last week. Peace Corps is changing me in ways that I really love and I know will make me a better and stronger person in the future. I like Peace Corps, I like the things I do in my village and I like being submersed in a different culture. I was a anthropology major for a reason. I whole heartedly feel so blessed and grateful to be in the position I am. I am so blessed that I actually have the choice to live below my means, in a setting that people work their whole lives to pull themselves out of! I am dedicating these two years to try and show people in my community that not all Americans are arrogant assholes that frivolously spend their money on things like bookmarks and mug cozies. But then some days I start to think, maybe we are arrogant assholes that spend frivolously on little things we don’t need but just want.
All these things do not make Peace Corps any easier though. It doesn’t stop me from being so sad that I don’t want to get out of bed and face the day. It does not make my desire for those frivolous things to go away. It does not make my embarrassment go away when I have to yet again explain the purpose of some random item that Batswana see no use for. It does not stop me from missing the voices of those people that have always made me smile but now only get to see their words on a screen. It doesn’t change some things but it is all worth it. Two years in a life time is not that long. In one year I will be making my way back to America and I will be a more resourceful, patient and compassionate human. But the price for that is sometimes my happiness. I may have dark, unhappy days but those bright moments in Botswana make those dark days worth it. Like seeing a wild herd of elephants on the road. Seeing a baby I’ve seen before recognize me and no longer fear me. Seeing a student I gave a class to greet me in the street cheerfully. Sharing a joke with a co-worker that both of us actually get. And just the genuine smile of someone seeing me arrive after I’ve been gone, knowing that they actually missed me while I was gone.
I have quit a lot of good things in my life and dragged on a lot of bad things. However, Peace Corps is one of those good things that I will not quit. Let it never be said that I didn’t stay and try. Let it never be said that I didn’t fight those inner demons. Let it never be said that I gave up on Peace Corps.
En Español
Un año fue y vino para mí en Botswana. Quesería poder decir que a sido fácil y feliz pero la verdad eso no es el caso. Para mí a sido duro. Especialmente la semana pasada. Sentía que el sol nunca me iba volver a calentar. Casi ni fue al trabajo y cada oportunidad que tenia me iba de mi pueblo a otro para no tener que hablar con naiden en mi pueblo. Peace Corps es una experiencia completamente diferente para cada individual. Esta historia es la mía y estas son las experiencias que yo tengo que combatir.
Las buenas noticias de esta semana es que el sol si me volvió a calentar y pude regresar a la realidad con optimismo y esperanza. Ser un voluntario de Peace Corps viene con el precio de soledad. No es porque no ay gente quien te de compañía. Al contrario a veces sobra la gente cuando menos quieres compañía. Hasta esos voluntarios que se integran completamente a sus pueblos a veces sienten esa soledad que naden menos otro Americano entendería. Porque 27 meses en otro país, en otra cultura completamente diferente es largo pero a la vez no es tan largo. Especialmente en una comunidad donde saben que en dos años ya no vas estar con ellos. Es difícil hacerte parte de la comunidad y que la gente te tome en serio. Lo más necesario es adaptar a la cultura porque si uno sigue viviendo como American en una cultura que no es Americana uno nunca va ser una voluntaria buena y exitosa. El problema con eso es que adaptar no es fácil!
Ay sentimientos o humores que yo como Americana siento en Botswana pero como soy voluntaria no puedo expresar. Por ejemplo la irritación o insulto que tenga de parte de un adulto mayor o grande de edad. Sea como sea no puedo regresar el insulto o decirle que estoy insultada o dañada por sus palabras o acciones porque son mis mayores y eso no se hace en esta cultura. No puedo expresar el coraje que me da con las mamas que a veces traen a sus niños que pesan menos de lo recomendad cuando el gobierno les da suficiente comida a TODOS los niños bajo 5 cada mes. No puedo expresar la irritación grande que siento tener que decirle a varias personas a donde voy, por cuanto tiempo y porque. O si no tener que explicar me como si fuera niña cuando regrese. Ay varios ejemplos que puedo dar pero el más común es de tener que aceptar mi situación económica y no tener los privilegios que todos tienen constantemente en los estados unidos como luz y agua.
Ya sé lo que están pensando… porque no te regresas si te sientes así… te querías esto… entonces porque dices que te gusta si no parece que es cierto… Me da nervios pensar en cómo de fácil sería solo hacer una llamada y estar de regreso en un avión para los estados unidos en menos de 24 horas. No porque se oye bien la idea si no porque tengo miedo que en unos de esos momentos breves como la semana pasada vaya decir, a tendió suficiente y ya mi voy! Peace Corps me está cambiando en formas que realmente amo y si que al final de estos 27 meses voy a ser una persona mejor y más fuerte. Me gusta Peace Corps, me gusta me trabaja que hago en mi pueblo y me gusta poder vivir en una cultura diferente de la mía. Me siento tan agradecida por estar en la posición en la que estoy. Tengo la bendición de tener la opción de vivir en una situación donde muchos viven todo la vida intentando de dejar atrás. Tengo la oportunidad de estar aquí trabajando para el bienestar de una comunidad y para comprobar que no todos los americanos son arrogantes desagradecidos que gastan el dinero en porquerías que ni si quería necesitan. Pero a veces si me pongo a pensar en todas las cosas que compramos que ni necesitamos y digo tal vez si somos un poco desagradecidos.
Pero todas estas cosas no hacen Peace Corps ser más fácil. No me hace dejar de estar triste a veces. No me hace querer menos todas esas cosas que en los estados unidos yo tenía. No me quita la vergüenza de tener que explicar le a alguien en mi comunidad lo que es algo que ellos ven sin tener función o valor y no mas algo en que gastar el dinero. No me así extrañar menos las voces de esas personas que siempre me han hecho sonreír que a hora nomas veo sus palabras en una pantalla. Pero de todos modos vale la pena. Dos años de una vida no es tan largo. En un año voy a regresar al estados unidos y voy a ser una persona más paciente, ingeniosa y compasiva gracias a esta experiencia. Pero el precio por eso a veces va ser mi felicidad al momento. Pero vale la pena por las experiencias increíbles que tengo aquí que muchos americanos nunca van a tener en sus vidas.
E abandonado muchos metas en mi vida y no abandonado otras cuando de vería ver. Pero Peace Corps no es algo que voy abandonar antes de tiempo. Que nunca se deja que no luche hasta el fin. Que nunca se diga que fue fácil. Pero que nunca si diga que deje Peace Corps.
No comments:
Post a Comment