Friday, 10 October 2014

So What Does Peace Corps Mean to Me?

So what does Peace Corps really mean to me? Our country director Tim thus far has proven to be a great guy that sticks by his promises and genuinely cares about his volunteers and Botswana. Every time he introduces us to a group of people he makes it a point to remind all the Batswana in the crowd how diverse Americans are and what huge sacrifice we are all making. And every time he does this he always uses this one line that STILL, after 9 weeks, brings tears to my eyes. He says (with so much passion and sincerity), “these 70+ people have left their homes, families, and jobs to be here with you to improve this country, they have left everything behind to be here.” He obviously means no harm but when he puts it like that it really strikes something. Before I came to Botswana everyone hailed me as this courageous and amazing person for doing what I am doing. I still don’t fell all that courageous and amazing but I definitely have started to feel the weight of the decision I have made. I have never for a second regretted joining Peace Corps and even though I know it will only get harder from here, I don’t foresee myself quitting either. I worked to hard to get here. 

 Along for the Ride! 
 When we were on the 15 hour plane ride from New York to Johannesburg we had a map on our tv screen in front of us on each seat. It marked our current location, how many miles we had traveled and how many we had left. That is when it really hit me how FAR I was going. Add that to watching a movie about siblings being there for each other and I about lost it on the plane. I was surrounded by strangers on a plane heading to a continent where I literally knew no one to do a job I had a paragraph of information on. What the hell was I thinking?! I had abandoned my sister at such a chaotic time in life. I had left my brother in his temperamental high school years. I was on my way to a foreign country where my parents thought I was going to starve, why did I decide to give them so much more to stress about? How selfish was my choice, I wondered. Slowly, I talked myself down from self destruction and really looked around. Everyone was at their most vulnerable. The lights were dimmed and everyone was sleeping, in a plane, in the sky, surrounded by dozens of people doing the exact same thing I was doing.. However, some people’s burdens were much more heavier than mine! At this moment I really realized how incredibly brave everyone was around me. Some of these people were leaving behind significant others, long time partners, children, grandchildren, promising jobs and even long time careers. When I look back and think of all those first time encounters with my future colleagues I can’t help think how raw we all were. Some of us desperate for attention from our new friends and some of us just barely holding on to reality. It was all so surreal and emotions were all so intense. Regardless of having only known each other for 24 hours or less even we were already starting to support each other. Now we call each other a Peace Corps family. 

 Resilience 
 Lets talk about resiliency. It’s one of Peace Corps favorite words to use. When I signed up for Peace Corps I knew that it was not going to be a walk in the park. I knew I might not have running water or electricity or *gasp* Facebook! But what is harder than not having all the above and more? Only having it sometimes, watching others that have it or it not working half the time. Botswana is not a third world country but it is not a first world country either. Technology is still developing and there are a lot of issues surrounding infrastructure. Things break down a lot and sometime just don’t get fixed. Everything seems to take a little to a lot longer. Some of the PCVs (Peace Corps volunteers) in Botswana have hot running water, electricity and even wifi in their homes. On the flip side, some PCVs don’t have electricity, nor running water and have to use internet in their shopping village which could be hours away. My future house will have electricity but no running water. I am led to believe it is a very tiny house. There is a stand pipe that gives me water in my yard and hell what more could I ask for? I don’t have to walk far to get it and at least I have electricity which means I can have a refrigerator unlike those without electricity. No running water also usually means a pit latrine (outhouse) but if the people of Botswana can do it then so can I and hey I‘ll be conserving water. There is a phrase that Peace Corps Botswana loves to say, “you need to own your service.” Each volunteer in Botswana, and globally, will have a completely different experience than another volunteer. Every village has its advantages and disadvantages, big or small. It is all about what we make of our service. It’s all about our attitude, patience and resiliency. Even now in my 10th week of living in Botswana there are things that I have always taken for granted that now I value so much. For example, water. Botswana is constantly going through a drought. Sometimes villages have water shortages which basically means water will not run at all, from anywhere. Sometimes it will run for an hour to a few hours a day. One volunteer told me that she had a water shortage in her village for 7 straight weeks and it was the only time she ever strongly considering quitting Peace Corps. But think about it. How often do you use water in your daily life? Aside from it being essential to actual life it is important for so many things we do on a regular basis, every day. I have also realized how many napkins and paper towels we waste in America. Batswana do not even really use napkins. They eat with their hands most times and then wash their hands when they are done. For special occasions or at restaurants they will give A napkin per person., and why not? How often do we just throw clean napkins away?

What More Could I Want? 
When I go to bed at night, exhausted from PST, I give myself time to think about how privileged my life is on so many levels. Just the mere fact that I have met 70 truly amazing and inspiring people that I get to work with for the next two years along with dozens others already in Botswana that I have not even met yet! It is just so overwhelming. Nights aren’t always great however. Sometimes after PST I just need a good cry. Peace Corps is a 24/7 job. Being white (yes, they just call me white, not Latino) in Botswana attracts a lot of attention. Most of it harmless. Nonetheless we are always being watched and we are here representing America. Everything we do and say is a reflection of America and the Peace Corps. We start our days at 7:30 a.m. with 2 hours of Setswana and then have sessions until around 5. After that we have an hour or so to hang out which is often spent navigating shopping trips to “the mall” and then it’s home to our host families were everything is a lesson. Food, culture, language, etc. everything is a lesson and there is very little downtime. It is no wonder that for many of us 8:30 is our bedtime. Overall when I wake up in the morning, often to the sound of singing from the primary school, there is no feeling of dread or even annoyance getting up to start my day. I peel back my mosquito net and go out to greet the day. It is still very odd to wake up knowing that everyone back home is still fast asleep and will be for several hours still. When All Else Fails There is Love. When I first arrived in Botswana, I had all my stuff unpacked and put away the first day. The one thing that I didn’t and couldn’t open was the envelope of pictures I brought of my family and friends. It took me at least a week before I could open it. Every time I even thought of opening it the water works started. One of the hardest things for me has been accepting that while I am here living my life the people back home are also living their lives. Time has not stopped and when I go back to America people will be different and I will be different. Birthdays and special events will pass and I will not be there. I cannot say that I have fully accepted this yet. It is still so incredibly hard to accept that I will be away from home for two whole years. Times like that I try and remind myself that I’m not here on vacation. I am here to do a job and it’s an important one. My background has prepared me for this. My parents were forced to be away from their families for years at a time. If they can make that kind of sacrifice to ensure the prosperity of their children then why can’t I give two of my years for a service to humanity? Ya, water can run low, internet can be hard to come by and I will not get to see my loved ones for a couple years but before I left I tried to cultivate my relationships with my family and friends and I think of them all the time. I know that somewhere in America someone is thinking of me fondly and I am loved. There is nothing that can really compete with that. 

The Stirring in My Soul
 Regardless, I sometimes worry that there will be friends that will slip through my fingers and I will lose contact with them. I try and remind myself that friendship is a two way street and if I make an effort to be in touch then they have a responsibility to try as well. If that is not the case then that really isn’t a friendship I need anyway. That being said though, I have had so much support from all my friends. You all truly keep me going everyday. I see myself as someone who has had an immense support system from day one. Every time someone asked me why I wanted to join Peace Corps I never really knew what to say. Even when I was asked the question at my Peace Corps interview it was a tough answer. I just didn’t know how to answer. I recently read a book that captured my longing to serve Peace Corps and hopefully later in life a non-profit or emergency relief organization. 

 “Minerva says a soul is like a deep longing in you that you can never fill, but you try. This is why there are stirring poems and brave heroes who die for what is right.” -In the Time of the Butterflies: Julia Alvarez

 I don’t want to be a hero, that’s overrated. I just want to give people what I have always had. I have always had a great support system, I want to be someone’s support system. I have always had stability in my life, I want to help someone stabilize their life. I have always had a shoulder to cry on and someone to listen, I have that to give. I have always been encouraged to succeed, I want to help someone succeed. So when people tell me how admirable I am and how they wished they could do what I was doing I stop and think, hey you can! Go out and raise a young girl’s self esteem, empower young boys to treat women with respect, mobilize your community to address a pressing issue. These are things that anyone with a good heart and good intentions can do. Every time I see a child shyly smile at me in the streets and ask me my name or wake up in the morning to the singing/prayer from the primary school next door I’m reminded I am exactly where I want to be. I will own my service. I am in the present and the present is what I decide to make of it.

 <b>En Español! Realmente que significa Peace Corps para mi? El director de Peace Corps de Botswana Tim, hasta este momento a comprobado que buena gente y sincero es. Hasta ahorita todas sus promesas y consejas an sido validos y a comprobado que le importa nuestra necesidades y el bienestar de la gente de Botswana. Siempre cunado nos esta presentando en frente de nacionales de Botswana siempre se asegura de comentar en que todos los voluntarios son muy diferentes, diversos, blancos, gueros, latinos, jóvenes y grandes de edad. Hay una frase que siempre me da UN SENTIMIENTO cuando el lo dice. El asegura de decirle a todos los nacionales que sacrifico amas hecho para estar aquí con ellos. Les dice, estas personas an dejado sus familias, sus casas, y empleos en America para estar aquí. An dejado todo por estar aquí. Todavía 10 semanas después y me da tanto sentimiento todavía cuando lo dice! Antes de llegar a Botswana muchos me dicen que valiente y admirable era por hacer tan aventurera. Al momento todavía no me siento ni tan valiente o admirable pero si a empezado a sentir lo pesado que a sido la decisión que a tomado. Nunca me a arrepentido di me decesión aunque sepa que de aquí solo se va a poner mas difícil. Pero no me voy a rajar porque trabaje muy dura para estar aquí. 

Por Avión… 
Cuando estábamos en el vuelo de 15 horas de Nuevo York a Johannesburg en Sur África, teníamos un mapa en la televisión en frente de nuestros asientos. Disa donde estábamos, cuanto veamos caminado, y cuanto nos faltaba. Ovo un momento cuando vi que íbamos a la mita. En este momento es cuando me di cuenta realmente como de legos me estaba yendo. Aparte de eso, acaba de ver una película de unos hermanos que se apoyaban todo la vida. Sabes casi perdí el control a medio vuelo. Que estaba pensando!? Estaba en un avión con extraños en camino a un lado del mundo donde no conozco a ninguna alma a ser un trabaja de que sabia casi nada. Via abandonado a mi hermana en una época tan turbulento en su vida. Via dejado a mi hermano en el tiempo de humores y turbulencia de adolescente. Estaba en camino a un país extraño donde mis papas pensaban que me iba a morir de hambre. Para que les di otro dolor de cabeza? Solo pensé en mi y no en los que estaban en mi vida. Pero después de unos respiros profundos empecé a pensar en los que estaban alrededor de mi en el avión. Estos 70 personas también vean hecho los mismo que yo. Incluso, muchos vean dejado atrás mucho mas que yo! Ellos eran los valientes! Muchas de estas personas vean dejado atrás hijos, nietos, novios y novias, y hasta careras de muchos años. Cuando pienso atrás a esos primeros momentos a esas personas que ahora son mis mejores amigos me recuerdo de que sola me sienta yo y que solos se an de ver sentido ellos también. Esos fueron los primeros momentos donde empezamos a apoyarnos y sentarnos como una familia grande.

Resiliencia… 
Resiliencia es un de las favoritas palabras del Peace Corps. Cunado me inscribe en Peace Corps nunca por un momento pensé que iba ser fácil. Sabia que iba ver posibilidades que no iba tener agua en mi casa, luz o hasta no tener Facebook! :O jaja Pero que es mas difícil que vivir sen esas cosas? Teniendo esas cosas solo a veces, viendo otros voluntarios que lo tienen y cuando nomás no sirven! Botswana no es unos de eso países en África donde toda la gente es pobre y viven en demasiada pobreza pero a la vez si ay mucha gente que vive día a día. Lo bueno de Botswana es que con el poco dinero que hace el gobierno lo osan para ayudar a su gente. Pero si ay muchas cosas que faltan aquí. Todo siempre dura un poco mas para hacer aquí. Botswana enseña paciencia a lo mas extremo. Tecnología todavía esta avanzando aquí y no compara a la tecnología de los Estados Unidos. Unos voluntarios en Botswana tienen en sus casas electricidad, agua, y hasta Internet. Pero a la vez ay unos que no tienen agua, ni luz, y la Internet tienen que usar en su pueblo de compras que puede estar 2-3 horas de lejos. A lo que me an dicho, me futura casa, tiene luz pero no tiene agua. Tengo una pipa de agua afuera de mi casa. Pero pues que mas quiero? No viene de vacaciones. Por lo menos tengo luz y teniendo electricidad significa que tengo un refrigerador. Algunas personas ni eso van a tener. En Peace Corps ay una frase que se usa mucho,”tu servicio es lo que los haces.” Todos los voluntarios de Peace Corps en el mundo van a tener diferente experiencias dependiendo en donde están y como toman su situación. En las 10 semanas que a estado aquí me a dado cuento de mucho que en los Estados Unidos no aprovechamos y no tomamos en cuenta. Por ejemplo, en Botswana muchos años no llueve y hace mucha falta la lluvia. A veces no cae agua por semanas en unos pueblos. Una voluntaria que viva cerca del pueblo donde voy estar yo dijo que en su pueblo no hubo agua por 7 semanas el año pasado. Fue la única vez que pensó en regresar a casa y dejar atrás a Peace Corps.

Que Mas Puedo Querer en el Mundo? 
Cuando me voy a dormir cada noche, completamente muerta del entrenamiento del día, me pongo a pensar de cuantos privilegios tengo en mi vida. Solo mente ver conocido 70 personas tan increíbles con quien voy a trabajar estos dos años. Y también toda las personas que todavía no a conocido pero se que van a ser una parte enorme en mi vida. Pero las noches no siempre son buenas, a veces después de un día largo es bueno llorar un poco para desaguar. Peace Corps es un trabajo de 24 horas al día. Ser Americano en Botswana causa mucha atención. Siempre nos están mirando y hasta se quedan viendo a veces. Por esa razón siempre tenemos que estar alertos que estemos dando bueno ejemplo porque estamos representando America y el Peace Corps insiste que nos comportemos muy bien y con mucho respecto a la cultura por que también representamos Peace Corps. Empezamos el día a las 7:30 con 2 horas de lenguaje. Después tenemos nuestras clases y lecturas hasta las 4 o 5 de la tarde. Después de eso nos queda como una hora o dos para relajarnos pero por le regular ese tiempo lo usamos para navigar el “mall” que es donde están todas las tiendas en el centro. Después de eso llegamos a casa con nuestras familias donde todo es un lección de comida, cultura y lenguaje. No es sorpresa que la mayoría de nosotros estamos en cama a las 8:30. Pero en realidad cuando despierto cada mañana siempre amanezco con mucho animo. Por lo regular amanezco a los sonidos de las mujeres en la primaria a lado de la casa que están cantando. La gente aquí canta antes y después de rezar y orar. Es hermoso. Al a vez todavía es raro pensar que cuando yo estoy empezando mi día la gente en los Estados Unidos todavía están bien dormidos. Pero muy pronto voy estar en mi propio pueblo con todo otra lista de problemas sin el apoyo de los otros voluntarios! 

Cuando todo falla por lo menos queda el amor.
 Cuando llegue a Botswana desempaque todas mis cosas el primer día. La única cosa que no pude acomodar en su lugar era un sobre de fotografías de me familia y amigos. La verdad, no lo pude abrir hasta una semana después que llegue porque me daba demasiado sentimiento. No porque los extrañaba tanto al momento pero solo en pensar que iba ser dos años! Unas de las cosas mas difícil de aceptar de estar aquí es que la vida para todos en los Estados Unidos todavía sigue. El tiempo no a parado. Todos mis familiares y amigos tienen sus vidas que van a seguir y la mía va a seguir también aquí. Cuando regrese voy a ser una persona diferente y las personas allá también van a ser un poco diferente. Cuando empezó a pensar en cosas así me trato de recordar que no viene aquí de vacaciones. Estoy aquí para hacer un trabajo y ese trabajo es lo mas importante al momento. Creo que mi familia me a preparado para esto. Ellos vivaron aparte de sus familias muchos años para darnos una vida sin que nos faltar nada. Si ellos pueden dar tantos años por nosotros por que no yo dar dos para una causa importante al servicios de la humanidad. Y si, va ser difícil a lo que estoy empuesta. A veces no va ver agua. La Internet va ser limitada y no voy a ver a mi familia un tiempo. Pero yo si que de aquel lado del mundo que existe un grupo de gente que están pensando en mi y que me quieren. A la vez yo también estoy pensando en ellos. Y la verdad que mas podría querer en la vida?

 El Movimiento en mi Alma.
 A la vez ay momentos donde siento que voy a perder a amigos o amigas por la distancia. En estos momentos me recuerdo que si un a amistad va existir entones tienen que ser las dos personas que intentan comunicar con cada quien. Y si la otra persona se olvida de me pues que si puede hacer? Pero la verdad el apoya de todos que deje atrás es lo que me motiva todos los días. Cuando la gente me preguntaba porque aplica para Peace Corps la verdad nunca estaba muy segura. Hasta cuando tuve mi entrevista no estaba muy segura de la razón. Recientemente leí un libro que capto mis emociones en servir la humanidad. 

“Minerva dice que la alma es como un gran anhelo que una nunca lugar satisfacer, pero lo intenta. Por eso ay poemas conmovedores y héroes valientes que mueren por lo que ese bien.” -En El Tiempo de las Mariposas-

 No quiero ser una santa o héroe pero si quiero servir la humanidad. Solo quiero dar le al mundo lo que yo siempre a tenido. Siempre a tenido apoyo de las personas alredor de mi. Y quiere poder apoyar a alguien que tiene los mismos sueños aventureros que yo. Yo siempre a tenido una vida estable y segura. Y quiero ayudar a alguien estabilizar su vida. Ayudar a alguien conseguir todos los privilegios que yo siempre a tenido. So cuando mis amigos etc me dicen que admirable soy y dicen que quisieran hacer lo que ya voy hacer les quiere decir que si pueden! En cada comunidad ay formas de ayudar. Los que saben usar computadoras, aunque sea un poquito puede ayudar a otra persona que no sabe nada. O los que manejan pueden asegurarse que alguien que tiene sita en la clínica llegue a su sita. A solamente una llamada a alguien quien saben que esta enfermo. Esto son ejemplos de lo que voy hacer aquí cuando no este ayudando la comunidad combatir la Sida. Este es mi cérvico y mi vida y al fin del día yo voy a ser lo que quiero con ella. Es corta y ay mucho que hacer. Jesús les dijo a sus discípulos que todo lo que hicieron por la humanidad hicieron por el. No se olviden de eso.

No comments:

Post a Comment